The totally shame-free, actual-life, real-time blog where I tell all, show all--without nagging or whining (all right--maybe a little whining...)--in my attempt to stop being a fat middle-aged woman who avoids mirrors and clothing stores and start being a woman at home in her body...brought to you by a real woman, the Independent Weltha Herself. I won't give any advice, and I'm not asking for any--just companionship on my journey.

Every day...a new post. Every other week...my real weight. Every month...new pictures.

For every woman who has ever tried to just lose the extra weight and feel good...overall and about herself...and who lived to tell the story.


Thursday, February 24, 2011

Day the 108th


Today, I celebrate yet another of the BFFs...my dear friend Grammy Jean.(I know...it's a weensy picture...and she is a little person...but there she is with MR. Jean and the grandbabies...)
But first, I have posted in the shout-out blog to Woodstock a picture taken at a Halloween party where he came as Mother Mary Woodstock in nun garb, fishnet stockings, and stilletos. [I showed up as Princess Alice Cooper Grad Student, which means I wore my Master's gown and hood, a tiara and loads of smeared black eyeliner. No, I have no pictures of that...why do you ask?]. Anyhoodle, he posed showing his lovely Cher-legs, and they are the envy of every woman I know, particularly me...

Here is the link to his shout-out on my blog and the picture of his legs...


And now...on to Grammy Jean...

Jean and I met because I was working one summer at my Christian school where I used to teach, and she had just become the Office Manager for the school's Superintendant. I was on a project, and we were both fairly new to the Wonderful World of Computers (does this tell you how long ago it was?). I sat right near her and sure enough, we bonded over WordPerfect.

And we have remained friends ever since even though I have done everything and its brother since that time, and she is the director of a wonderful organization that works with children with developmental disabilities. I have watched her children grow up, marry, have their own children, and through it all, Jean and I go to lunch about once a quarter, exchange Christmas and birthday gifts, and stay in close touch. To say that she has been a rock and a true friend is to call the Grand Canyon a big hole in the ground...

One of the things I love the MOST about Jean is that she always sees the best in any situation and always believes the best about people. She has always done this with me--and she has remained totally enthusiastic about my plans, ideas, people in my life, and where I go to church.

And yes, Jean is another one of those 24/7, 365-days-a-year-no-let-up sort of Christians, so when she says she is praying for me, I take it to heart and know that I am indeed prayed for. I say all the time that I don't know how or why prayer works, but that it does change things--as Bishop emailed me today, "it moves mountains!"

Here is the short list of cool things she has done:
  • Celebrated with me my graduation from grad school with my Master's in Language and Literature

  • Rejoiced at how happy I was--and am--to find St. Jerome's as my church

  • Laughed at anything funny I said

  • Commiserated when things didn't go so great for me

  • Prayed for me when I was out of work and broke

  • Given me the coolest and most thoughtful gifts--and I have them all to this day

  • Shared with me the comings and goings of her own life and allowed me to be a part

And you know what? In all of this, she became one of my Best Friends Forever.

Jean--you are also celebrating with me that I am losing weight and doing this blog! You are a true friend--one whom I will know and love for the rest of my life. I am so glad we worked together that summer...little did we know...

So...here is to real friendship, hanging together as women or buddies or whatever, and making a difference in each other's lives...

Indendently,

Weltha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for havin' your say! You're an INDEPENDENT WOMAN (or an INDEPENDENT MAN!), too! Just remember, this is an ADVICE-FREE ZONE...so please send the advice back to its room, and PLEASE comment about what you've done or just join in the ray-rah!

Independently,

Weltha