The totally shame-free, actual-life, real-time blog where I tell all, show all--without nagging or whining (all right--maybe a little whining...)--in my attempt to stop being a fat middle-aged woman who avoids mirrors and clothing stores and start being a woman at home in her body...brought to you by a real woman, the Independent Weltha Herself. I won't give any advice, and I'm not asking for any--just companionship on my journey.

Every day...a new post. Every other week...my real weight. Every month...new pictures.

For every woman who has ever tried to just lose the extra weight and feel good...overall and about herself...and who lived to tell the story.


Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Day the 184th and Day 20 of Advent

Oh Reader, I drank a Coca-Cola.

Is that so wrong?

It's Christmas (good golly Ned, how much longer can I use this lame excuse? Not so long...)

Last night, I got home around 8 pm because I had worked until 7 pm. Why, you ask? Because I am a contract worker. I get paid for the hours I work. Period. If I don't work, I don't get paid. So...I am putting in 40 hours in 4 days. Why, yes, that's an average of 10 hours per day. Today, I'm putting in 4 - Count 'em, FOUR - hours. Got here at 7:15 this morning. Am taking 15 minutes off my lunch hour and then working until 8 pm tonight. Worked 2 hours over yesterday. AND...am going to work 2 hours over tomorrow so that I can have a 'normal' day on Thursday. And we're off Friday. And Monday. Woo to the hoo...

Anyhoodle, I got home at 8 pm last night and just ate my chocolate mint bar. I know, I know. And this morning, I got nut mix at our cafeteria (it's packaged and very nice) and then, Reader, I broke down and got myself a Coca-Cola because I needed (wanted...) the caffeine (and the sugar, and the fizz...) Yes, I did it.

I have NO idea what I'm eating tonight. It will be 8:30+ when I make it home, and the cats will be fussing to be fed, and I will feel like dropping down in my bed. And then up early tomorrow so I can get here early and then leave at a reasonable time (having worked 2 extra hours) so I can get to Choir practice because doggone it, it's ADVENT and this is the last practice but one before the Big Mamba of services - Feast of The Nativity on Christmas Eve. Midnight Mass, you know. I know...I'm tired, too. And Thursday night, am getting together with our two other altos - Virginia and Kat - to work on the Alto Section of The Hallelujah Chorus. Why? Because we want to do a great job. Period.

Today's Advent Meditation is:

Odd Gifts I Have Given and Received


  1. All right, this is probably something I need to work through in therapy, but one year, my family drew names (and I usually got gifts from both Mom and Dad) but my dad drew my name and I wound up with 2 shirts. Period. Nothing from Mom (why?) And of course, my mom always got gifts from everyone so Mom was rakin' it in, and here was ol' me, with 2 shirts. Yes, I struggle with bitterness...

  2. Last year, I gave Poodle and Mischa jars of cashew butter (thought I had stopped writing about that, didn't you?) Poodle loved his. Mischa...misplaced his somewhere in the depths of his refrigerator and I have never heard another word...

  3. A set of towels for my Aunt Helen and Uncle Ted - Mom took one look and said, "Golly, I'm going to keep those and give them something else instead!" Thanks, Mom!

  4. A child's reel-to-reel tape recorder. Okay, it's not that odd, but I totally loved it, and I thought it was the coolest gift on earth.

  5. One year, I gave a [former] sister-in-law a handmade book of Christmas memories and poems and pictures. Why? Because I was broke, broke, broke and in Bible School. That's all I could afford - a little journal with a bunch of hand-done stuff...I don't know if she liked it or not.

  6. A pooping plastic reindeer - I don't want to say who I gave these to, but it was another year I was broke. Yeah, it went over just about as well as you think it did...by the way, the reindeer 'pooped' jelly beans. I didn't want you to get the wrong idea.

Things I Have Never Received (And Hope I Never Will):



  1. This thing that helps you put on your shoes called a 'Shoedini'

  2. Big Mouth Billy Bob Bass

  3. Chia anything

  4. A Bedazzler

  5. A 'bumpit' that helps your hair stand up in a beehive

  6. Popeil Pocket Fisherman

  7. A hand-painted plaster of Paris wall plaque (extra points if it has a Christian sentiment; double extra points if any word is misspelled)

  8. A quilted, lace-trimmed Bible cover

  9. Jewelry from QVC

  10. Anything ordered from The Franklin Mint

I probably could go on and on...and on. And on.


Independently,


Weltha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for havin' your say! You're an INDEPENDENT WOMAN (or an INDEPENDENT MAN!), too! Just remember, this is an ADVICE-FREE ZONE...so please send the advice back to its room, and PLEASE comment about what you've done or just join in the ray-rah!

Independently,

Weltha